INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Raspberry Pi 4 vs Pi 3 performance test

• Thank you received: 92
Maybe of interest, a practical performance test between the Raspberry Pi 3 and Pi 4

Both system where running Raspbian Buster. The camera an ASI1600-MM Cool was connected using an USB 3.0 cable. The imaging program was CCDCiel and ASTAP was installed as the solver as described here . PHD2 was installed for guiding but not used in this test.

The results show that the Pi 4 is in average twice as fast as the Pi 3. A lot of time is lost by downloading and saving the image. A class 10 memory card was installed.
The time lost is the time between the exposures for downloading the image via USB and saving it to the memory card. So in the Pi 4 if you operate the ASI1600 camera in bin 2x2 mode there is 2.5 seconds lost between the exposures. That's pretty good for deep sky imaging.

The solving time is the time required for plate solving the image.

Han
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keld Henningsen, David Tate
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by han.
4 years 8 months ago #40973
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 74
Useful info Hans :-)
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
4 years 8 months ago #40993

• Thank you received: 226
Nice work. I was expecting better performance though. Is it possible the Pi 4 was being thermal throttled?
4 years 8 months ago #41005

I don't think the Pi 4 was throttled. This setup was all local in the Pi 3 and Pi 4. No download or INDI communication via the network

For local saving, the memory card has a significant influence. A class 10 can do 10 mbit/second. So the normal sequence is something like:

1) start exposure
2) download result from camera
3) save result
4) start next exposure

Patrick is already working on a improved CCDCiel version where step 3) and 4) are run in parallel. So a multitask operation. This would reduce the lost time (between exposures) to the image transfer time from camera to memory only. First indications are that the lost time will be half or less.

This are the values for my desktop under win7:

win7 desktop, 4635 x 3520 image, lost time between images 9.3 sec
win7 desktop, 2328 x 1760 image, lost time between images 3.3 sec

So the Pi4 is faster then my old desktop!

An alpha version of CCDCiel indicates that the 9.3 sec could reduce to 3.6 seconds and 3.3 seconds to 1.3 seconds. The same improvement could apply for the Pi 4, but it is early in the development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Urmas Leming
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by han.
4 years 8 months ago #41015

• Thank you received: 3
Deleted for duplicate
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Kevin J Ware.
4 years 8 months ago #41143

Might I suggest using a fast USB3 flash instead of the boot SD card? I have a 400mbs read/write flash, which is about 4x faster than class 10 SD cards.
4 years 8 months ago #41144

• Thank you received: 74
Raspbian Buster on RPI4 will not, at his time, boot from USB - www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=243629
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
4 years 8 months ago #41148

Sorry I meant using a flash for writing and reading images instead of the SD.
4 years 8 months ago #41150

First I tried a ram disk in memory, but that not helped a lot. Selecting in the driver option save to ram disk (SD card) rather then via INDI network communication helped a little.

But in the latest alpha version of CCDCiel the problem is solved and only the download speed from the camera to RAM is relevant (USB 3). Saving is done while the next exposure is running. The lost time between exposure is half of the previous values or less. This improvement will be beneficial for all CCDCiel releases. At the moment I can only test on the Pi 3 since my Pi 4 is broken.
4 years 8 months ago #41152

Dang! Now you have me a bit paranoid. I am going to start on mine tonight to make sure mine isn't DOA.
4 years 8 months ago #41154

• Thank you received: 15
Wow

I ran the ASTAP app on a Raspberry Pi 4/4Gb
I know ASTAP is fast but this is nuts

ASTAP solved my DSLR fits files of M31 in 2.8 seconds

Really would like to have this as an alternate solver in ekos...

ASTAP running on a Raspberry Pi 4 4GB solving a 180 second sub of M31 taken with a Canon 600D DSLR
4 years 5 months ago #44644
Attachments:

I will look into it... if someone from the community can work on adding ekos support for that it would be great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acapulco Rolf
4 years 5 months ago #44646

Time to create page: 0.906 seconds