INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos on Mac OS X ?

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

blink and there is so much progress :woohoo: ... I like it.
Sorry I've been busy on my new observatory this week-end, didn't get a chance to give that libusb path issue a bash.

Yes, to re-itterate the ultimate goal is the creation of a dmg file, we do not want any end-users to have to do anything else than as already put it:
The user would simply have to download the dmg, mount it, and drag that file to their computer. Then launch KStars and everything should work including indiserver, astrometry, gsc, and xplanet.

All we do at the moment is to get to this dmg goal (and fix/add code/features as we go along).
I do believe once we got a working version, Jamie's script will help creating the dmg automatically, great script to automatically release any future updates.
7 years 5 months ago #12030
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 812

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Now, that being said, I don't know that much about Travis CI, could it run something like Jamie's building script on a server and produce a dmg with an app inside?? If so, then that is awesome.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Rob Lancaster.
7 years 5 months ago #12031

I should have also mentioned that I too am awaiting a shiny new macbook pro. I know how you feel I have needed one for around half a year now. My current macbook pro is now 8 years old, and the trackpad has become temperamental due to too much clicking, the wifi and bluetooth stopped working because of damage from an impact (or several), and did I mention it is 8 years old?! That said, the computer still works pretty well in spite of all I have thrown at it, I am looking forward to around a decade of use out of my new one too.
7 years 5 months ago #12033
  • Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Here's something I did not know (probably because I don't read the docs... lol):
stackoverflow.com/questions/36014782/mac...t-and-use-debug-libs
doc.qt.io/qt-5/osx-deployment.html

"-use-debug-libs Deploy with debug versions of frameworks and plugins (implies -no-strip)"

I shall try this tonight.
7 years 5 months ago #12044

This code is now ready to go, Jasem pushed it this morning. So now if you have a fresh computer with no data directory and you are starting a KStars app which you just dragged from the dmg, it should get you all set up from what is in the app bundle. I made it an interactive process with dialog boxes. The only thing the user would need to do to finish it off is put gsc in their data directory and put the appropriate astrometry index files in the astrometry folder.

Please test the dialog boxes and make sure the process makes sense. To test it you can rename your data directory and rename your astrometry folder in ~/Library/Application Support so that it is forced to create new ones. (This way if you already have useful data in those folders like I do, you don't have to delete them to run the test)
7 years 5 months ago #12045
  • Thank you received: 23

Replied by Jamie Smith on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Glad that you mentioned the warning about the path. I have a script that tries to determine what to do, based on what you posted. I know this is going to be pretty long, but can you take a look to see if it looks right? I don't actually do the call to install_name_tool yet.

The preface of the script says this:
This script has three goals:
1) identify programs that use libraries outside of the package (that meet certain criteria)
2) copy those libraries to the blah/Frameworks dir
3) Update those programs to know where to look for said libraries

Here is the output - it should be pretty self-explanatory of what it is trying to do. I have not checked this in yet

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
7 years 5 months ago #12046

This premise sounds correct!
7 years 5 months ago #12047

So I bit the bullet, and went ahead and tried the script - it seemed to work (well, the script did)

When I went to the macdeployqt step - I got a slew of errors of this nature:
ERROR: "error: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/install_name_tool: can't open input file: Applications/KDE/kstars.app/Contents/Frameworks/libjpeg.8.dylib for writing (Permission denied)\nerror: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/install_name_tool: can't lseek to offset: 0 in file: Applications/KDE/kstars.app/Contents/Frameworks/libjpeg.8.dylib for writing (Bad file descriptor)\nerror: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/install_name_tool: can't write new headers in file: Applications/KDE/kstars.app/Contents/Frameworks/libjpeg.8.dylib (Bad file descriptor)\nerror: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/install_name_tool: can't close written on input file: Applications/KDE/kstars.app/Contents/Frameworks/libjpeg.8.dylib (Bad file descriptor)\n"
ERROR: ""
ERROR: "error: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/install_name_tool: can't open input file: Applications/KDE/kstars.app/Contents/Frameworks/libnova-0.15.0.dylib for writing (Permission denied)\nerror: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/install_name_tool: can't lseek to offset: 0 in file: Applications/KDE/kstars.app/Contents/Frameworks/libnova-0.15.0.dylib for writing (Bad file descriptor)\nerror: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/install_name_tool: can't write new headers in file: Applications/KDE/kstars.app/Contents/Frameworks/libnova-0.15.0.dylib (Bad file descriptor)\nerror: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/install_name_tool: can't close written on input file: Applications/KDE/kstars.app/Contents/Frameworks/libnova-0.15.0.dylib (Bad file descriptor)\n"
ERROR: ""

When you ran these tools did you see the same kind of errors? I plan to add a +w to the permissions on these in the script, but can't test for a while
7 years 5 months ago #12050

Now I am getting an error on the emerge:
Files: 33
Size:       471006
Compressed: 98497
*** Action: compile for data/docbook-dtd ***
*** Action: cleanimage for data/docbook-dtd ***
*** Action: install for data/docbook-dtd ***
*** Action: qmerge for data/docbook-dtd ***
*** Emerge all succeeded: all of data/docbook-dtd succeeded after 0:00:00 ***
*** Handling package: docbook-xsl, action: all ***
*** Action: fetch for data/docbook-xsl ***
/Users/jamie/IndiRoot/kstars-stuff/do   0%[                                                                        ]       0  --.-KB/s    in 0s      
/Users/jamie/IndiRoot/kstars-stuff/do   0%[                                                                        ]       0  --.-KB/s    in 0s      
emerge warning: Action: fetch for data/docbook-xsl FAILED
*** Emerge all failed: all of data/docbook-xsl failed after 0:00:46 ***
emerge error: fatal error: package data/docbook-xsl all failed
This is before my stuff even tries to update the libs

EDIT - downloading of the xplanet stuff no longer works, either.

EDIT again:
so, I am dead in the water. is emerge failing for everyone else, too?
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Jamie Smith.
7 years 5 months ago #12053

By the way, I have been keeping a separate version that I compiled using the pre-emerge method that I have been using for editing kstars code. I update this version from the git on a daily basis. The emerge method relies on the stuff you have in IndiRoot, but the other does not. That way I have been able to always keep a working copy of KStars on my computer, even while we figure out the emerge and scripting stuff. Have you been doing this also? I would hate to not have KStars fully functional on my mac while futzing with the scripts.
7 years 5 months ago #12058

I can probably get back to that - I have the script that I used prior to the emerge. Let me see if I can consolidate
7 years 5 months ago #12059

Caution, some change somebody made today is causing a compile error in KStars, the method getBLOBMode in ClientManager.cpp does not exist and it is being called in Capure.cpp
7 years 5 months ago #12068
Time to create page: 0.590 seconds