INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos on Mac OS X ?

• Thank you received: 23

Replied by Jamie Smith on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

I think I fixed the .gitconfig part of this:
git commit -m "looks like the -o in the test didnt work the way I thought"

As for the path- I think that we should make a specific dir req for that - if we don't want to use the build then expect it in a specific location- I didn't make it up, I used what was in a previous place :D

I just installed it on my MBA- it defaulted to installing in ~/Qt5.7.0 - so that is what I will check for. If it is not there, I will abort and fail the script. Sound good?
7 years 5 months ago #12149
The topic has been locked.

How long does that QT install take from the dmg?? I gave up on mine and killed it...
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Jamie Smith.
7 years 5 months ago #12150
  • Thank you received: 819

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Here is what I just installed, I believe it took a little over 20 minutes. www.qt.io/download-open-source/
7 years 5 months ago #12151

Using the qt link I just posted, it installed qt to ~/Qt/5.7/
7 years 5 months ago #12152

So Just a couple of observations after running Jamie's script. I found that several steps would be needed on a new computer prior to doing so.

1. Installing Xcode and accepting the license agreements
developer.apple.com/download/

2. Installing Qt Creator / QT
www.qt.io/download-open-source/

3. Installing Homebrew
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

4. Installing cmake
brew install cmake

5. Downloading and running Jamie's script.
mkdir ~/Projects
cd ~/Projects/
git clone github.com/jamiesmith/kstars-on-osx.git
cd ~/Projects/kstars-on-osx
. build-kstars.sh -3aei

Then there were the issues Stephane reported at the end, I had to copy the right files in manually.

And I discovered one mistake I made. The Indi drivers directory is not by default internal like the others are. I must have missed that one.
7 years 5 months ago #12153

so where do we draw the line? I can put in tests for all of these things, most are pretty simple shell tests (well, I don't know about the Xcode license thing).

We can definitely add a readme that puts the basic steps in as a prerequisite- but then question who is this setup for - someone building for themselves, or those of us trying to build the package for others?

I consider it as the latter- I am lazy in nature, so I automate stuff. if we want an alternative build, then we can accommodate that - but in that case I need to know our goals. If it is a script that we use "internally" to build a dmg of kstars, then we can be pretty "strict" with the requirements. If it is to ALSO build kstars standalone - well, then it needs to be more robust. I can do either - I am having fun :D
7 years 5 months ago #12154

I am inclined to just put a list of instructions to the user to have them install Xcode and possibly QT. If they prefer the version of qt from home-brew, they can use what is currently in your script. Homebrew and cmake require such simple commands that it would be really easy to just add to your script I think.

The primary goal is for us to have an easy way to get us and/or somebody else able to just run a simple script to get things set up. And if we can get a nice standalone dmg via a script, the user would never have to do stuff like this.
7 years 5 months ago #12155

I found one other problem. After I got kstars all installed, I found that I couldn't use astrometry.net because I didn't have python and pyfits properly installed on this machine. I don't remember what I did to get those installed. . . I seem to remember Stephane having trouble with that briefly. I have to go back and get those installed properly. When I figure out what the heck he or I did to get python and pyfits properly set up, you might want to add that to your code Jamie.

Sorry, I had forgotten all about that until it didn't work on my new machine.
7 years 5 months ago #12156
  • Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Our goal I believe it to build the kstars dmg file from source files, from brew to macdeployqt and everything in the middle using an automated process.
Ultimately, once we have a rock solid process in place, we could automate the updates as they come along in kstars/indi/etc... , maybe?

You do see on many websites: "requirements to be able to run xyz... needs to be met".
Our requirements should be the following:

I've excluded brew install cmake as it's in Jamie's script.

"Xcode: accepting the license agreements", I believe there is a way to do this from the command line, I've done it but cannot remember right now how.
7 years 5 months ago #12162

Did you get that worked out?

It looks as simple as:
brew install python
pip install pyfits

I can add added that to the brew setup in the script.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Jamie Smith.
7 years 5 months ago #12167

I had a few minutes in the airport, so I made a few updates to the script, the checkin summary:
  • make the install of qt a prerequisite rather than automatic
  • install python and pyfits
  • add prerequisites for the whole process to the readme as per forum

When I get home I will double-check the location of the qt install - see if maybe I can "find" it better so it is a bit more flexible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
7 years 5 months ago #12168
  • Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Thanks for the update, I will see if I can do the "When I get home I will double-check the location of the qt install - see if maybe I can "find" it better so it is a bit more flexible." later on tonight.
7 years 5 months ago #12169
Time to create page: 0.483 seconds