INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos not reporting any Logs

• Thank you received: 16
Hi,

I am still having issues with receiving any logs. I have made sure debug is on and that logs are being reported through my equipment settings tabs. I have my settings as "verbose" and I have everything that I want reported checked. I am still receiving nothing, no logs are saved at all.

It is especially important for me right now because am having issues where ekos is constantly crashing. I am not sure why, it just started happening recently. I would like to make a post but I won't do it without the logs, it would just be a guessing game without them, lol.

Also, is there a stability update coming soon? I am hoping that if I cannot get the logs issue sorted out that all of my issues will be fixed during that update.

- Deesk
3 years 5 months ago #62437

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 117

Replied by Doug S on topic Ekos not reporting any Logs

This could be a setup or permissions problem. Use the "Configure -- Kstars" GUI to "Open Logs Directory". Note the directory path. Either use a terminal window to do an "ls -altr" command on the location, or select a folder in the path and right click to pull up the Properties/Permissions tabs. That should lead you further down the path to discovery and resolution..... Good luck.
3 years 5 months ago #62438

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by Bart on topic Ekos not reporting any Logs

Have you also selected 'file' as output? IIRC it's under the verbosity checkbox.
Next apply settings and just to be sure, restart Indi. (Or simply reboot)
3 years 5 months ago #62450

I am sorry, I have no idea how to use the terminal to do so. I was looking at the folders, but it seems like I loose them as soon as I get to the .local ... see attached image to see where I am. Just had ekos crash on me again, so hopefully I can get to the log for it.

Edit: I was able to locate the folder. Even accessing it multiple ways still shows nothing for the logs. It just looks like there aren't any logs being reported at all.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Daniel DeSclafani.
3 years 5 months ago #62506
Attachments:

Yep I do have that on already, thanks!
3 years 5 months ago #62507

Does anyone else have any ideas? Would like to get this solved. I have Ekos/Kstars crashing on my pretty much around the same time every night. I would like to be able to get the logs and figure this out. Otherwise I am not sure what I am really supposed to do.

Maybe nyone has an idea of why the software could be shutting down? IK I don't have logs, but I'm kind of looking for anything to try right now, even without the logs
3 years 5 months ago #62546

• Thank you received: 30

Replied by Joaquin on topic Ekos not reporting any Logs

Did you test what I said you in the previous thread ?
I did not get any feedback.
In your picture I do not see the hidden folder .local. Is it there?

I prefer not to open a new thread each time I want to expand/update/redo my question. I write a new post in the same thread, the thread becomes actualized to the top and the problems are easier to follow and resolve.
3 years 5 months ago #62549

Since you're using stellarmate, you can email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to ask for support on this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel DeSclafani
3 years 5 months ago #62553

I didn't want to dig up the old thread. I suppose I should have, so others could follow as you said.

I did make sure I was showing the hidden folders. The hidden folders did show, however there still were no logs for the session. It just seems as if it is not saving any logs
3 years 5 months ago #62557

• Thank you received: 30

Replied by Joaquin on topic Ekos not reporting any Logs

Sorry in you already answered, but some have made you questions about permissions and not sure if this is still clear:
Which permissions do you have for the log folders (i.e. are they writable ?).
Most simple test for a linux iliterate (not using any command) is to open a new file in the editor of your choice, write 'hello' in it, and try to save it on the folder where the logs should be. If you have3 a warning that the file can not be saved, then you have a problem of permissions.
Using the stellarmate gadget time ago I found the same problem as you describe and it was because folder/file write permissions (the lack of).
joaquin
3 years 5 months ago #62560

• Thank you received: 117

Replied by Doug S on topic Ekos not reporting any Logs

I didn't respond earlier because I'm not using a Mac. By google:

If you don't have permission to open a file or folder on Mac
On your Mac, select the item, then choose File > Get Info, or press Command-I.
Click the disclosure triangle next to Sharing & Permissions to expand the section.
Click the pop-up menu next to your user name to see the permissions settings. ...
Change the permissions to Read & Write

You should verify that the whole path has correct permissions (i.e. .local, .local/share, .local/share/kstars, .local/share/kstars/logs). It's possible depending on how you installed the system that root has the permissions as opposed to stellarmate. Jasem's advice to ask for help at the stellarmate site is probably appropriate if you don't understand how to navigate around MacOs well.
3 years 5 months ago #62564

Yep, you are correct. I do not have permissions to write to that location. Just tried to save a file and I was denied permission. What would be my next step to allow permissions?

Edit:

Thank you so much for pointing this out! Did some quick research. I just tried to save a new file to the folder and it worked after using the following code below
sudo chmod a+w .local/share/kstars/logs
3 years 5 months ago #62565

Time to create page: 0.540 seconds