INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Feature: The Donut Buster

• Thank you received: 281
If you have a scope with a central obstruction that turns stars into donut shapes when you defocus then this new "Donut Buster" functionality is for you.

Its recently merged into KStars so will be available on bleeding-edge.

Here's a video...

Thanks to the forum volunteers who submitted data from the their telescopes to help with the build and testing.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Happy focusing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Alfred, Jarno Paananen, Jim, Avocette, Dahu, Sonny Cavazos, Stefan, JuergenN, tkakura and 3 other people also said thanks.
2 months 2 days ago #99320

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 23
Please, could you explain the benefits n using this feature in case of an RC or Newton telescope?
2 months 1 day ago #99322

Replied by John on topic New Feature: The Donut Buster

Hi Alessandro,

For any scope with a central obstruction the new functionality will make Focus more tolerant of, and work better with, donuts.

If donuts are not a problem for your setup and Focus works great for you, then there’s little to gain by the new functionality.

If you have issues with donuts then the new functionality will help significantly (hopefully).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Hy Murveit, Sonny Cavazos, ALESSANDRO PENSATO, Massimo
2 months 1 day ago #99323

• Thank you received: 3
Thanks for this. Hopefully this will help my system get through the night without getting into Donut land

I installed "bleeding" which says it is 3.6.9 stable this morning and have the donut checkbox but not the special profile "Default donut" that you show in the video.

See attached screenshot

Cheers and thanks again
1 month 3 weeks ago #99536
Attachments:

Hi hinorthastro,

It looks to me like you have 3.6.9 Stable not bleeding-edge.
1 month 3 weeks ago #99537

• Thank you received: 8
I am trying it out now on my SCT 8". A fantastic result for a cloudy night where only a few stars are visible to the naked eye!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mattia, John
1 month 5 days ago #99844
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 168
The feature works very well with my 8" RC, but doesn't seem to get saved so I need to re-enable it every time. Is this intentional or some local problem for me?
1 month 4 days ago #99855

Hi Jarno,

This was a bug that I thought I fixed a while back, but didn't quite fix it properly. I fixed it again very recently in the last few days.

If you build the latest it "should" be fixed but if not let me know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jarno Paananen
1 month 4 days ago #99856

This is with latest master compiled just now, the subsettings like time dilation do get saved, but the main donut buster checkbox is always unset when I start Ekos. I compile KStars pretty much daily so it might be that my settings are in some sort of limbo state in case some incompatible changes have been made.
1 month 4 days ago #99858

Hi Jarno,

I can't recreate the problem on master on my environment (i.e. setting Donut Buster on/off and stopping / restarting Kstars results in the correct setting).

You could try creating a new Optical Train and see if the setting works or is still broken on that (settings are saved per Optical Train).
1 month 3 days ago #99885

Hi John,

found the reason, I had focus mechanics -> walk set to classic so Focus::setDonutBuster() unchecked it but I could re-check it. Setting it to fixed steps or CFZ shuffle maintains the donut buster setting. According to the comment that is expected, but it was a bit confusing that the setting is available. So i'm not actually sure if I have tested the functionality at all yet :)
1 month 2 days ago #99900

Hi Jarno,

Donut Buster needs walk=Fixed Steps or CFZ Shuffle. On the latest code you can't select Donut Buster if walk=Classic. You probably would have been able to on earlier versions.
1 month 2 days ago #99916

Time to create page: 1.169 seconds