INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Mount with INDI and Kstars pre-loaded!

• Thank you received: 38
The following user(s) said Thank You: John
Last edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by Sonny Cavazos.
7 months 2 weeks ago #95578

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
You could use Pegasus Astro Saddle PowerBox with Indi on RPI4 CM4 together with Stellarmate and have the same result for far less money on a mount of your choice of payload or drive tech.
7 months 2 weeks ago #95600

• Thank you received: 114
Let's hope that it will not be locked down and violating GPL like ASIair.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derek, Kelly Wood
7 months 2 weeks ago #95601

• Thank you received: 223
So the name "iMate" ... quite close to "Stellarmate", isn't it?
7 months 2 weeks ago #95602

• Thank you received: 155
Yes, that is true. But this is nice in that it boosts KStars's recognition in the industry - where very people have even heard of KStars.
7 months 2 weeks ago #95708

• Thank you received: 7
So I bought the HAE69EC and got it yesterday. I bought it because the only other mount that would handle my scope was the Rainbow RST300 for like 4$k more. It appears that it is a RPI4 Orange loaded with Kstars 3.6.6 Beta.

Here are some strange differences. The Beta version has an iOptron HAE69 mount but the Windows version does not have this mount.

I would like to put my copy of Stelarmate on this but I a a little afraid of breaking it.

Any thoughts?

Kurt
7 months 19 hours ago #96009

• Thank you received: 69
I'd be a little afraid of doing that. Without doing my own research, is there a fool-proof way of going back to the original setup if things go south?
7 months 18 hours ago #96012

• Thank you received: 14
If it's an OrangePI (don't know what an RPi4 Orange is) then Stellarmate most likely will not work with it. On my Orange Pi 3 LTS I had to use their Ubuntu install routine and roll my own KStars/INDI/EKOS system. If it is actually an RPi4, then it should work. There are chipset differences between the Orange Pi's and the Raspberry Pi's (RPi4).
I also tried using Armbian with it, but had issues with the WiFi driver in Armbian not working with the Orange Pi 3, which was an immediate killer. It had to do with the kernel not being set up to support that chipset.
I haven't tried any of the newer Orange Pi devices (the 4 LTS or the 5 series) since I went to a NUC based solution using StellarMate X OS.
Having fun learning about the cosmos.
I also run an astrophotography site as a hobby.
Last edit: 7 months 17 hours ago by Tracy Perry.
7 months 17 hours ago #96013

Yeah. I'm not sure there is. There is a firmware update utility but what do they consider as firmware.

Kurt
7 months 17 hours ago #96014

I believe it said OrangePI which I understood as an RPI 4
7 months 16 hours ago #96017

• Thank you received: 14
Nope... the Orange Pi is a totally different critter than the Raspberry Pi.
They use different chipsets and I never could get the OS for RPi to work as it has to be compiled for the chipset in use due to being an SBC form factor. Due to space constraints, they try to optimize the OS load for the individual boards.
The Orange Pi is a cheaper option than a Raspberry Pi, especially in the recent past because the Raspberry Pi 4 was very hard to get at a reasonable price, so those other boards started getting used quite a bit.
The RPi 4 uses a Broadcom BCM2711 SoC chip, and the Orange Pi 3 LTS uses a Allwinner H6 SoC, the Orange Pi 4 uses a Rockchip RK3399, and the Orange Pi 5 uses Rockchip RK3588S. Each Orange Pi 4 has it's own OS rolled out by Orange for the device as they aren't interchangeable.
If the OS is on the SD card of the Orange Pi device, you should be able to use Balena Etcher to clone your SD card... but it would probably be better just to get a new SD card and use Balena Etcher to install StellarMate OS on it. I doubt that the OS is installed on the onboard eMMC flash (which on most won't have the storage capacity).
Having fun learning about the cosmos.
I also run an astrophotography site as a hobby.
7 months 16 hours ago #96018

Thank you Kurt for the update. What else is running there, any more information? Can you VNC in?
7 months 9 hours ago #96024

Time to create page: 0.801 seconds